Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 09 - First Day of Autumn


-

Woke up early today to a whole new season in Wuhan! Sheila the roomate and I have been counting down to this day since we've brought nice clothes (ah, girls) along just for this. Anyway, the cold weather will always be better than hot and humid weather in my book.

Got dressed and headed down to class. The winds were crazy strong and it was super nice, in contrast to the sweltering heat all week thus far.





Headed out to the supermarket during lunch, and discovered our shoes all muddy and dirty from the rain puddles.


Clockwise: Eliza, Eudora (?), me, Yuchuan, and Nicholas. The Dirty Shoe Circle.

In the unmerciful cold weather, we Singaporeans huddle! This is what happens when you only have one brolly.

Whiteboard outside the local students' side of the dormitory building.
“中秋,国庆。双节快乐!”, which translates to: Mid-Autumn, National Day, Happy Double Festivals! Found this heartwarming, for some reason.

Eliza finding it unbearable under the umbrella with the rain and strong winds blowing through 旅大街(Lu Da Jie).

Rushed back after having noodles with some classmates for dinner. Some of them initally wanted to have their own food, but I insisted to eat together since it's Mid-Autumn's, and here in Wuhan, we're the only family we have. The food didn't turn out to be too good, but the company was great, as usual.

Rushed back to celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival with everyone else! I think we initially had big things planned, but got cancelled due to the rain. Had the celebration in the corridor instead, which isn't quite bad, honestly.

With Jo the neighbour!

Zhenzao and the local student who's been around to bring us everywhere, Yang Tao.

My Bossman eating the wrong food.

Michelle and Eliza (who was tip-toeing heh heh).

With Eudora, one of the nicest people around.

Nicholas, who had to stoop really low to take this photo with me. T-T
He's actually from my primary school too! What a coincidence, heh.


-


Personal Reflection

One of the best things I love about Wuhan, the seasons! I often travel only for the change in seasons, just to experience them. Autumn and spring are my favourite seasons; not too hot nor too cold. I wonder if I would love it more if I came with the next batch though, I haven't ever experienced snow yet.

I guess I'm just slightly more paranoid about natural disasters now that the season's changed and it's raining more frequently. I didn't ever have to worry about that when I was in Singapore, but you'd never know here. Just hoping for the best, I suppose.

Today's Mid-autumn festival was great! Mid-Autumn has always been about reunion, and having mooncakes and tea while enjoying the bask of the full moon. Now that we're in Wuhan, all I have are literally my trip mates, and my trip leader. The trip mates have been really awesome thus far and they're really accepting despite most of them coming from a single class. I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about anything when I'm here in Wuhan with them, cos they really look out for not only me, but everyone else too.

So spending Mid-Autumn festival with them is only right on this day of reunion. Sometimes we all have dinner separately or leave for/from class separately too. It was great company on this night where we can't even see the moon. Such a pity. The moon is supposed to be the brightest on this day, but it was blocked out by the heavy clouds. :/ Next few days, I guess.

Anyway, I like that Mid-Autumn is a national public holiday in China. It really does allow students and working adults alike to return to their home village to reunite with their respective families. It's like Christmas, but with mooncake.

1 comment:

  1. Autumn is my favourite season too. Take a picture of the trees now, and compare the trees when u r leaving Wuhan on 17-Oct. If you are lucky, you may experience the seasonal change whereby leaves falling from the trees. I love pictures of trees with red-golden colour.

    ReplyDelete